The number of students pursuing Economics has shown a steep rise in the past 4-5 years. Students from commerce as well as non-medical streams opt for Economics at their college level. This has resulted in various colleges offering Economics courses that are in demand.
Graduation: Majority of colleges in Delhi University offers B.A in Economics. Best colleges include SRCC, Lady Shri Ram, Daulat Ram College, Hansraj College and many more.
Post Graduation: Masters in any field comes with specialization in a particular branch of the subject. As Economics offers large subject branches, students have more choices to select from!
Top universities in India offering Economics at the postgraduate level along with the courses offered are as follows:
- Delhi School of Economics (DSE, DU) – Two year Masters in Economics
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata and Delhi – MSc. Programmes in Economics and Quantitative Economics
- IGIDR, Mumbai – M.A. in Economics
- Madras School of Economics – M.A. Programmes in Economics and Actuarial Economics
- Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune – Two-year M.Sc. Programmes in Financial Economics, Agribusiness Economics and Economics.
The top universities which provide exceptional faculty and placements in the field of Economics.
They conduct written/ computerized entrance exams in April- June, which can be considered rigorous ones as they coincide with the semester exams. They judge you on your thorough knowledge of the subject, mathematical and analytical skills, statistical and general aptitude. But if you prepare well and have a complete understanding of the subject, they are easy to crack! Once you clear the written exams, group discussion and personal interview follow in few colleges. Then, the final lists are out for the admissions.
Many private universities offering masters in Economics are:
- Amity University,
- Galgotias University,
- LPU University,
- Christ University.
Pursuing post-graduation abroad can an option chosen by many students. Leading economics institutions in the UK are:
- Oxford University;
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE);
- University of Cambridge;
- Imperial College London;
- University College of London (UCL);
- King’s College London;
- University of Manchester
It does require a solid understanding of economic principles and practices. Students should also know global issues relating to economics. Looking at the enormous options offered in economics, students should choose according to their aptitude, interest, future goals, job requirements and fee structure and other expense(in the case considering abroad).
Looking for more career options? Try Reading:
- Career Choice: Anchor: https://www.mypower.in/2018/11/02/career-choices-anchor/
- Career Choice: Alternate Medicine: https://www.mypower.in/2018/11/02/career-choices-alternative-medicine/
- Scope and Opportunities in Design Animation and VFX: https://www.mypower.in/2018/11/02/the-scope-and-opportunities-in-design-animation-and-vfx/