Speech and language therapists assist people who have a speech or language disorder, which can be in children or even in adults after major surgery or illness.
How to get into it?
Step 1: Study class XII with Maths and Biology as mandatory subjects.
Step 2: B.Sc in Speech Therapy and Audiology of 3 years. Admission is based on merit in the qualifying examination.
Step 3: Specialization is possible in the M.Sc. course which is of 2 years.
- Therapists diagnose speech and hearing disorders.
- Prepare an action plan for therapy.
- Give therapy for speech fluency and voice articulation.
- Correct minor language defects.
- Treat stammering, delayed speech, childhood speech disorders due to brain dysfunction/mental retardation and injuries, cleft palate, hearing disorder and problems in articulation.
- The speech therapist uses language equipment for language training. Sign language, lip reading, articulation exercises are some of the techniques used by therapists for treatment.
- Audiologists use equipment to assess hearing defects.
- A significant part of their work involves keeping in touch with other professionals such as teachers, psychologists, doctors and parents to exchange information on the progress of the client.
Speech therapists and audiologists are employed in hospitals, speech clinics, rehabilitation centres, schools for people with cerebral palsy, individual schools for the mentally handicapped, counselling centres and in cancer rehabilitation centres. They work in linguistics and as teachers.
- Indian Railways
- Armed Forces
Institutions offering speech therapist course
- All India Institute of Speech and Hearing
- Gujarat University
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)
- Indian Institute of Health Education
- J.M Institute of Speech & Hearing, Patna
- Kasturba Gandhi Medical College
- Osmania University
- Sri Ram Chandra Medical Institute
Looking for more career options? Try Reading:
Career Choice: Anchor: https://www.mypower.in/2018/11/02/career-choices-anchor/
Career Choice: Alternate Medicine: https://www.mypower.in/2018/11/02/career-choices-alternative-medicine/