Our Indian culture has always coveted Gems in various forms for numerous uses starting from their astrological significance to their healing powers. However, today, the science and art of finding, grading and evaluating these Gems has changed drastically. Gemology, the science of study of gems and metals has emerged as a whole career option. A branch of Mineralogy, it is considered geoscience which deals with having in-depth knowledge of gems. Along with natural, Gemology also deals with artificial gems.
As a Gemologist, you will study the atomic structure of a gemstone, grade it and discover ways to prevent damage. You could also work as a Jewelry designer.
Any other skills that might be useful
Apart from the technical know-how, you will need a flair for design, appreciation of quality, great hand-eye coordination, powers of observation, attention to details and powers of concentration are some of the skills you will need to be successful as a Gemologist.
What do you need to study and where do you go
Unless you choose graduation in Jewelry design, you will need to have passed +2 for taking up any of the certificate or diploma courses that would help you launch your career as a Gemologist.
Some of the available courses are:
- Bachelors of Fine Arts in Jewelry design
- Masters degree of Fine Arts in Jewelry design
- Post Graduate Diploma in Diamond Technology
- Diploma in Diamond Processing
- Diploma in Diamond Trade Management
- Diploma in Gemology
- Certificate course in an International system of Diamond Grading
- Certificate course in Planning & Marketing
- Certificate course in Colored Gemstone Cutting & Polishing
- Certificate course in Grading, Cutting, Polishing, Bruiting
- Courses in Jewelry Design & Machine Cast Jewelry
- Certificate course in Hard Shape Grooving
Some renowned institutes offering these courses are:
- Gemstones Artisans Training School Jhalana Mahal
- Gemology Institute of India
- Indian Gemological Institute
- St. Xavier’s College
- The Jasami Department of Jewellery Design & Manufacture
- Small Industries Service Institute
- Indian Diamond Institute
- Dr Dhamambal Government Polytechnic for Women
- The Indian Diamond Institute,
- Vakall’s Academy of Jewellery Design
- Shri Bhaubhai Mafatlal Polytechnic
- Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council
- Jewellery Design and Training Institute (JDTI)
National Institute of Design (NID)
- International Institute of Fashion Technology
What kind of jobs can you look forward to
There is a huge scope of work in this field given our love for gems. Gem cutters and Craftsmen are always in demand. Any retail or wholesale outlets are often on the look-out for good Gemologists.
For more career choices read:
Career Choices: Aqua culturist- https://www.mypower.in/2019/02/12/career-choices-aquaculturist/
Career Choices: Cartoonist- https://www.mypower.in/2019/02/11/career-choices-cartoonist/
Career Choices: Chocolatier- https://www.mypower.in/2019/01/28/career-choice-chocolatier-chocolate-lover/