Ceramic technologists develop ceramic materials and the processes to make them into hi-tech and utility products.
- Study properties of ceramic materials.
- Design and manufacture ceramic materials which range from a flower vase to the ceramic nose cone for a missile
- Conduct research to study applications of chemical and thermal interactions of oxides which make ceramics.
- Modify the design of the machinery and tools used in the production process
- Specialize in the technological developments of specific production processes such as glass for the manufacture of tableware, fiber optics, bulbs, window panes, electronic ancillaries.
- In sales for understanding customer needs for projecting these requirements to guide further research.
- Specialize in the technological developments of structural clay used in the manufacture of enameled articles and pipes, engine parts, tools artificial limbs or cement used in construction or ceramic wares such as tiles, pottery and bathroom and kitchen fixtures.
- Work in production to test for color, surface finish, texture, strength and uniformity and for the correctness of the manufacturing processes. Even the quality of raw material used in the industry is tested.
- Specialize in the technological developments for the electronics sector for manufacturing integrated circuits, sensors etc.
How to get into it?
- Study class XII in science stream with PCM as mandatory subjects
- Qualify the JEE entrance exam
- Study BTech in Ceramics
- Become Ceramic Technologist
- Industries producing glass, cement, porcelain, enamels refractory, iron and steel
- In industries manufacturing special ceramics for power and nuclear energy projects, aerospace, R & D Laboratories and Defense establishments.
- Somani Ceramics
- Morgan Thermal Ceramics
- Silk Ceramics
- Excel ceramics
- Orient Bell Ltd.
Institutions offering the course
- Ceramic Institute of Technology & Research
- Indian Institute of Ceramics
- University College of Science & Technology
- Allagappa College of Technology
- Madurai Medical College – Tamilnadu
For more career choices read:
Career Choices: Aqua culturist- https://www.mypower.in/2019/02/12/career-choices-aquaculturist/
Career Choices: Cartoonist- https://www.mypower.in/2019/02/11/career-choices-cartoonist/
Career Choices: Chocolatier- https://www.mypower.in/2019/01/28/career-choice-chocolatier-chocolate-lover/